Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Peak Miata!

Mr Miata has finally reached 'peak Miata'. I had a vision of what I wanted him to be when I bought him, and over the past few years I have slowly achieved that goal - turning him into a modern rat rod for reliably bombing around town.




Most important to me was using stuff I would have used on a '90 Miata back in the day - the Racing Beat hardboot cover, the genuine Mazda tail, and +1 wheels - Cragar lacy wheels, no less!





Inside I've got handmade red vinyl door panels, a plastidipped center console and tombstone, and igge seatcovers. Oh yeah, and a pool ball shift knob! And a lighted rearview mirror salvaged out of a camaro convertible. I also gave it an upgraded set of door mirrors off a newer Miata.

Under the hardboot cover is a cloth soft top with a glass rear window. A big improvement from the torn top it came with when I bought it.




Most important is that almost all the parts I put on it, were scrounged up on craigslist or in junkyards, or trading with other Miata club members. Second-hand parts for my second-hand Miata! I've also done all the work on it, fixing little things as they came up, most recently replacing the alternator all by my little self. After someone stole my iPod and garage door opener out of it last summer I wired in a secret garage door opener button I soldered together myself and installed in the console.

It's a fun little ride, with 212k miles and still going strong, but it's been overshadowed lately by the Challenger, which is also a lot of fun to drive, and much more civilized. And as you can see in the garage, the Mustang is still waiting for me to get down to business and finish it up. So much to do. I'm tempted to sell the Miata before I spend any more money on it, but Dave says I would just go buy another one later. This is #4, after all.

_


No comments: